Title: Project Officer –Sustainable Agriculture
Tenure: Part Time Position – to 30 June 2022 with possibility of extension
Base Salary: (30.40 hours per week pro-rata based on $65,000 – $80,000 (FTE)
Location: Mackay or Proserpine
Reports to: Coordinator – Sustainable Agriculture
Reef Catchments is a Team of skilled and outcome focused people all dedicated to looking after the environment in the Mackay Whitsunday Isaac region.
We are the Natural Resource Management (NRM) group for the Mackay Whitsunday Isaac region. We facilitate change and work for long-term solutions to sustain, protect, and improve our region’s natural resources and environment, both now and into the future.
More information about Reef Catchments and its activities is available at https://reefcatchments.com.au/
Reef Catchments currently has a position available for a Project Officer with the Sustainable Agricultural team. The program aims to foster sustainable production; support innovation in rural and agricultural systems; enhance land manager skills and capacity development; actively improve integration and planning across rural sector operations (regional scale); and generate improved condition of the natural resources in the rural and agricultural landscape.
We are looking for a team player with a positive and engaging personality. In return, we offer a flexible and positive work environment, with excellent conditions, and an opportunity to enhance and build your skills in multiple areas.
Key Result Areas/Accountabilities for the position
• Provide agricultural extension and technical support to growers in the Mackay Whitsunday Isaac growing regions, and other Reef Catchments programs.
• Establish and maintain productive relationships with organisations and individuals that have an interest in agriculture systems.
• Develop networks and maintain links with various natural resource management stakeholders including community groups, industry organisations, local government, interest groups, State & Commonwealth agencies, relevant to achieving enhanced natural resources management outcomes for the Mackay Whitsunday Isaac region.
• Develop communication, awareness and extension components of the various agricultural industries and programs led by Reef Catchments in the Mackay Whitsunday Isaac Region.
• Communicate effectively, and develop communication products, for a wide audience i.e. landholders, industry, and Government.
• Collate outputs and outcomes achieved by the agriculture programs for the production of communication products and milestone reporting to funding providers.
• Maintain project and landholder data management systems to produce data products that meet reporting and planning needs of Reef Catchments Sustainable Agriculture programs.
• Provide quality control for project related landholder, property and project planning and reporting documentation.
• Collect and manage data, practices and spatial mapping associated with on farm practice change.
• Participate in promotions, training, workshops and field day activities.
• Identify and assist in developing proposals and funding applications that relate to sustainable agriculture in the Mackay Whitsunday Isaac region.
• Ensure that contracted milestones and activities are completed on time and according to budget and lead the reporting of outputs and outcomes back to key government and private investors and stakeholders.
• Conform to all Reef Catchments policies, procedures and operation processes.
• Work towards and support a safe, equitable and harassment free workplace.
• Comply with WH&S management systems, including statutory obligations.
Selection criteria – (Must be addressed in application)
• SC1 – Tertiary qualification in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Applied Science or Natural Resource Management.
• SC2 – Demonstrated skills in data collection and management systems to produce data products to meet reporting, report writing and planning needs, including GIS/ mapping.
• SC3 – Good understanding of agricultural systems, in tropical environments and the impact of agricultural land uses on water quality including the agricultural land use and management practices required to deliver improved water quality and natural resource outcomes in tropical environments.
• SC4 – Demonstrated skills in the development and implementation of agricultural improvement programs and projects including proposal writing, budgeting, reporting, contract and contractor management, pasture identification.
• SC5 – Demonstrated project management skills including the ability to coordinate multiple projects and budgets.
• SC6 – Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate with influence to a diverse client base including farmers, agricultural industry groups, government and contractors.
• SC7 – Current manual Driver’s Licence.
How you will be assessed
You will be assessed on how you meet the selection criteria listed in this role description. To ensure that sufficient information is provided to allow an informed assessment to be made, you are required to:
1 1. Provide a response outlining your suitability for the position, with specific examples which address the bullet points listed under selection criteria. Your response should be no more than 2 pages; and
2 2. Attach your current resume (of no more than 6 pages) including names and contact details of at least two (2) referees who have knowledge of your work.
The selection panel will assess your ability to perform the work required of the position based on your response and resume and other selection processes which may include an interview.
Referees will be contacted to verify the information you provide and to comment on how well you demonstrate the attributes being sought should you proceed to the interview stage.
Please forward completed applications, (including selection criteria), to firstname.lastname@example.org or Reef Catchments, PO Box 815, Mackay Qld 4740 by close of business, Thursday 2nd December 2021.