The Coasts and Communities program was initiated to set a vision for the future of the Mackay Whitsunday Isaac coast and engage local communities in coastal management activities. The project provides a strategic and coordinated approach to managing our coast; developing local management plans to enable all organisations, community groups, and local residents to work together to achieve the best outcome for our coastal environments.
The Coasts and Biodiversity program is delivered in partnership with Mackay, Whitsunday, and Isaac regional councils, Landcare, Ecobarge Clean Seas, community volunteers, local contractors and Reef Catchments and is supported by local government funding and the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program.
Local Coastal Plans
Local coastal plans are developed in consultation with coastal communities for public coastal land under council jurisdiction. The beach plans include large scale geographic representation of environmental, cultural and social values and issues, and subsequently, recommend and prioritise on-ground activities to ensure the long-term sustainability of the coastal zone. Read about the local coastal plans.
On-ground activities are implemented on a priority-based system and are being undertaken to reduce identified threats. All on-ground activities are focused on enhancing the condition and extent of coastal vegetation and are being implemented through council staff, land managers, contractors, community organisations, and volunteers. Activities include weed control, revegetation, maintenance activities, and rubbish removal.
- Mackay Coast Study
- Marine turtles in the GBR area
- Nationally protected Broadleaf tea-tree (Melaleuca viridiflora) woodlands in high rainfall coastal north Queensland
- Nationally protected Littoral rainforests and coastal vine thickets of eastern Australia (aka beach scrub)
- National Recovery Plan for the northern quoll
- National Recovery Plan for marine turtles in Australia
- National Recovery Plan for the water mouse
- Queensland Coastal Plan
- Seagrass and marine resources in dugong protection areas