The Great Barrier Reef Ports Strategy presents the vision and principles guiding future port development and planning in the Great Barrier Reef coastal region to 2022. The Queensland Government’s aim is to ensure that port development in the region occurs in a balanced and incremental way to support economic development while maintaining the outstanding environmental value of the Great Barrier Reef. The Great Barrier Reef Ports Strategy includes a number of questions about the future operation of Queensland’s port network. Issues for consideration and response include:
- Best use of each port
- Assessment and management of environmental impacts
- Strategic use of port land
- Improvements to port planning including master planning
- Commercial funding models and barriers to investment
- Opportunities to improve efficiency and limit environmental impacts.
Results of consultation will inform a Queensland Ports Strategy. Have your say by 14 December 2012.