Repulse Creek

View the Repulse Creek Report Card

 

The waters of Repulse Bay

The efforts and investment in management practice change and water quality improvement are focused on protecting and improving the waters of Repulse Bay and the Whitsunday Island, flagship landmarks for the Great Barrier Reef.

 

 

Summary of progress

Repulse Creek catchment area is a relatively small catchment situated on the Whitsunday coastline. The catchment area is entirely surrounded by National Park and State Forest. Repulse Creek flows from the highlands of Dryander National Park into the Declared Fish Habitat and Dugong Protection Area of Repulse Bay. Overall, National Park protects 75% of the catchment area on the east adjoining the marine environment. The remaining 25% on the western boundary of the catchment is under grazing production.

In 2007, the water quality and ecological health of Repulse Creek catchment area was rated as the highest in the Mackay Whistunday region. Between 2007 and 2013 there have been efforts to improve grazing management practice. Continuing efforts will focus on maintaining the ecological health of Repulse Creek catchment for improved fish, seagrass and dugong habitat in Repulse Bay.

 

Future priorities

Grazing management practices that reduce nitrogen loads are the priority for improving event water quality and end of catchment loads to Repulse Bay. Activities that contribute to improvement in ecosystem health for Repulse Bay including seagrass bed condition and dugong population are also high priorities.

Activities that support improvements in fish community abundance and diversity are the ecosystem health priority. System repair activities to improve flow in the catchment area of Repulse Bay will contribute to fish community improvements in Repulse Creek.

The catchment will continue as a sentinal reference site for regional water quality.

View the full Repulse Creek Report Summary