The MRPMG was established in 2002 and consists of representatives from local and state government departments, community groups, and industry bodies whose core business involves the provision of pest management information and expertise within their respective fields.
The role of the group is to:
- Develop networks that aid in the exchange of knowledge and information to those involved with pest management.
- Obtain a consistent pest management approach across local governments with state agencies, industries, and community groups.
- Formulate links with key natural resource management groups
- Provision of a regional pest technical reference group
- Lobby and ensure pest management funding is spent strategically.
Current members of the MRPMG include:
- Canegrowers Mackay
- Canegrowers Proserpine
- Conservation Volunteers Australia
- Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- Department of National Parks, Sport and Racing
- Department of Natural Resources and Mines
- Department of Transport and Main Roads
- Ergon Energy
- Isaac Regional Council
- Mackay Area Productivity Services
- Mackay Regional Council
- North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation
- Pioneer Catchment and Landcare Group Inc.
- Reef Catchments (Mackay Whitsunday Isaac) Limited
- Sarina Landcare Catchment Management Association Inc.
- Whitsunday Catchment Landcare Inc.
- Whitsunday Regional Council
The group meets every three months at various locations throughout the Mackay Whitsunday area, with a goal to prioritise and coordinate pest management across the region and ensure that best practice principles are carried out in a consistent, integrated and efficient manner in line with the Regional Pest Management Strategy (Mackay, Whitsunday, Isaac) 2011-2014.