Choosing the right bull for a profitable livestock enterprise.
Your bull determines the performance of your herd and influences weaning rates, survival rates, and sales weight, and can indirectly complement your grazing management. Join us for the High Steaks II – Bull Selection Field Day.
DATE: Wednesday, 18 October, 2017
TIME: 8.30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
VENUE: 347 McEwens Beach Road, McEwens Beach
RSVP: Monday, 16 October ,2017
Deb Wilkinson on (07) 4968 4200.
Please bring a sun hat, sturdy shoes and a portable chair.
Talk by Jim Fletcher
• What drives genetics?
• What’s important to consider when selecting traits in a bull?
• What traits make you money?
• What tools can we use? (i.e. Breedplan selection and breedplan dataplan database search and Genomics, where are we headed).
Talk and presentation by Roxanne Morgan
• BBSE (Bull breeding soundness examination)
• What has the research told us?
• Demonstration of a full BBSE – Importance of temperament in selection.
• Importance of vaccinations.
• How do we move forward with our own businesses?